These Stuffed Bell Peppers are the pure taste of summer in Croatia. Yes I know you expected something more Mediterranean but this meal is one of those, that each mom prepares THE Best. When I think about dishes from my childhood, this stuffed bell peppers recipe always appears in my memories.
I remember when I did my first stuffed bell peppers recipe by myself…WOW! That was super stressful with million questions answered by my mom over the phone. This time, some years after I created my own version and I hope you guys will like it (I know my German perfectionist does 🙂 )
Stuffed bell peppers – A excurs into the botany
The pepper plant belongs, in addition to chili and potato, to the genus Solanaceae. It is particularly important to her that both the plant and the fruit are called paprika. The most common species, which also includes chillies and hot peppers, is Capsicum annuum. As the name already suggests, the paprika for filled peppers also contains capsaicin, which is responsible for the pungency.
However, the concentration in the pepper is very low. The origin of all types of peppers in Central and South America. Today, the plant is grown almost everywhere below the equator. Greenhouses also simulate a longer growing season here. In the most countries, the fruits for stuffed peppers are available all year round, but because these are imports from Spain, Hungary and the Netherlands.
Stuffed peppers are extremely versatile: Whether vegetarian or classic with minced meat and rice – there is something for every taste. Gratinated with Mozarella, sometimes with feta cheese, sometimes divided into two halves of paprika, sometimes with tomato sauce and capers, sometimes accompanied by fresh zucchini, cauliflower or broccoli, sometimes served with couscous or with rice. There are many ideas for main courses around the stuffed peppers.
If you make this stuffed bell peppers recipe, make sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! We are happy to hear your feedback and how you like this recipe! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag BeastFeast on Instagram!
Best Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 kg Grounded Beef
- 1 pcs Purple Onion
- 3 tbsp Rice brown or white
- 1 pcs Egg
- Salt &Pepper to taste
- ½ tbsp Red Pepper Powder
- 8-10 pcs Paprika not the big ones
- 1 l Tomato Sauce
- 1 pcs Purple Onion
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sage Leaves fresh
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- Cut out the middle of each paprika (core them) and wash them
- Mix all ingredients for filling together (best with the hand) and fill each paprika (Trick 1: don’t fill them too much as the rice and paprika will increase the volume while cooking)
- For the sauce, drizzle the oil in the heating pan and heat it up on medium heat, add chopped onion and cook until golden (caramelised), pour in tomato sauce, sugar, salt and pepper and sage leaves. Bring oil to boil.
- Heat up the oven on 180°
- Drizzle some oil on the bottom of a pot where you will place paprika, add paprika and cover with tomato sauce. Cover the pot with topper or alu foil and place in the oven.
- Bake for 1.5h and at the end remove the topper/foil for 5 minutes
- Serve with mashed potatoes or just a nice tossed salad
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!