And we did it again and again! This chicken with cardamom rice recipe is inspired by the cookbook ‘Jerusalem: A Cookbook’. Maybe you already figured out, how we are completely in love in all kinds of spices for cooking. This recipe is exploding from spice flavors and taste of fresh herbs. It is certainly a weeknight dinner winner that the whole family will love and also suitable for people following a gluten free diet.
Cinnamon, cardamom and cloves combined with fresh orange juice and fresh herbs. Chicken that melts in your mouth and rice from which you can’t get enough. This one-pot chicken recipe with caramelized onions, cardamom is unbelievable.
Cooking in one pot
Cooking meat with rice and water in one pot could be a great way of introducing an honest meaty flavour to the rice whereas keeping things comparatively easy
Here are some Tipps for you
- For cooking, choose the largest, not too light soup pots, casseroles or tall pans. It is important that it stirs comfortably in the pot.
- Prepare, wash and chop all the ingredients, as they all come into the pot at the same time. Garlic and onions need to be finely chopped so they can cook.
- Pay close attention to the amounts of liquid in the recipe when cooking. After all, nothing should burn, but nothing should swim in too much broth
This is the BeastFeast version of the famous middle east dish chicken with cardamom rice. You should also try our version of the famous Mejadra rice dish. Mejadra is a popular dish in the Middle East and it is prepared with basmati rice, lentils, spices and crunchy onion.
If you make this chicken with cardamom rice, make sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! We are happy to hear your feedback and how you like this recipe! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag BeastFeast on Instagram!
Chicken with Cardamom Rice and Orange Juice
- 400 g Boneless Chicken Breast
- 400 g Chicken Thighs
- 300 g Rice
- 550 ml Water
- 2 pcs Purple Onion
- Fresh Coriander
- Handful Raisins
- 2 pcs Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 tbsp Cardamon Powder
- 1 tbsp Cloves
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Juice of an Orange
- Olive Oil
- Cut the onion on thin rings. Place bigger cooking pot on medium heat, drizzle olive oil and add onion rings. Cook on lower heat for 10-15 minutes or until soft and golden. Remove the onions from the pan
- In a bigger bowl place all chicken parts, add salt, pepper, cardamom and cloves. Drizzle in some olive oil and mix all together
- Place the chicken in the same pot where you cooked onions. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes on each side (this is important)
- Take out the chicken and add rice and caramelized onion in the same pot (also important as all spices left a layer on the bottom). Add cinnamon powder, salt and pepper. Pour in boiling water, cover the pot and cook on lower heat for 20 minutes
- At the end, add raisins and orange juice. Sprinkle over fresh cilantro and add salt and pepper if needed
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!