Jump to Recipe
Juicy lemon chicken recipe with black beans on a bed of rice. Everything topped with fresh homemade mango salsa. Guys, this cuban chicken with black beans and rice is just wow! This is absolutely explosion in your mouth and pretty easy to prepare. I simply love those meals, where you put almost everything on a sheet and just in the oven.
Now you just think, why the hell is this Cuban…Cuba is Havana, rum and mojito. Yes that’s true, but Cuba has so much more to offer.
My cuban experience
I have been in Cuba a few years ago for vacation with my family and it was really mind blowing. I think it was one of the best holidays for a long time. The first week we started our vacation in Havana. Spending three days there and started our road trip along the coast to Viñales, Pinar del Rio and San Christobal.
The craziest experience has been our accommodation. We were sleeping in Cuban habitaciones. These are rooms, which Cuban habitants rent for sleep and you literally sleep in the room next to them. But they are so welcoming. They cook for you and you eat all together and they offer you millions of cigars. All of the backpackers now will think “well, yes, that’s how you do it…” But guys, if you know my parents, especially my mom, you would never imagine, she would sleep in these kinda accommodation. But, she really liked it. It was amazing!
Back to our chicken! Cuba’s recipes are influenced by Spanish, African, Caribbean and Chinese cuisine and can be roughly divided into two different regional cuisines: East Cuban and Western Cuban. Many recipes from Cuba are based on beans and rice, as well as chicken, pork and beef. And we all know, how much we love chicken! The marinade with lemon and lime zest brings you the extra Caribbean feeling on the plate. Fresh mango salsa is rounding up the whole meal. Super simple, super flavorful and so delicious!
Enjoy your Cuban flavor with this lemon chicken recipe!
Another lemon chicken recipe you should not miss is our chicken skewers on a chickpea field recipe.
Cuban Chicken with Black Beans and Rice
- 600 g Boneless Chicken Breast cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 pcs Garlic Cloves
- 2 tsp Grounded Oregano
- 1 tsp Grounded Cumin
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp Orange Juice
- Zest of Lemon & Lime
- 1 pcs Purple Onion
- 2 pcs Red or Orange Bell Pepper sliced
- Olive Oil
- 150 g Rice uncooked
- 1 can Black Beans
- 1 pcs Hass Avocado
- 1 pcs Fresh Mango cut into small cubes
- Handful Fresh Coriander
- Squeeze of Lime Juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 pcs Fresh Pepper optional - sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C
- On a rimmed baking sheet, combine the chicken, 2 tablespoons olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, orange juice, zest of lemon and lime. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss well to evenly coat the chicken cubes
- Add the onions and bell peppers and toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper
- Arrange everything in an even layer. Transfer to the oven. Roast for 20-25 minutes, tossing halfway through cooking until the chicken is cooked through and the onions have caramelized
- Meanwhile, make the mango salsa. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine
- To serve, spoon the rice into bowls and top with black beans, chicken, peppers, and onions. Add avocado and the mango salsa to each bowl
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!