Jump to Recipe
This time we have filled bao buns with teriyaki beef and cream cheese I assume I do not need to tell you my emotional story about bao buns again. 🙂 Basti prepared these beauties already a few times and every single time I am in heaven again.
Not sure if I will regret saying this, but these filled bao buns are maybe even my no.1. recipe. Basti initially came up with these bao buns, during one of those days when I was craving for something yummy and with cheese and with beef and with teriyaki. 🙂 Luckily, I am THE luckiest girl in the world to have a partner in crime who can make my dreams come true 🙂 Yes, my dreams about bao buns and teriyaki. 🙂
These angels’ pillows will most definitely make your dream come true, trust me. Soft and slightly crispy from the outside and when you bite them a taste explosion follows; beef teriyaki with cream cheese!
To get them crispy, you just have to put them in a pan over medium heat for really just a few minutes. Be really careful to not burn them. I promise you, it makes a difference, you have to try it.
Our famous bao bun dough recipe: Steamed Bao Buns
Although this popular dish has been around for centuries, the bao buns has only recently become a featured favourite on Asian fusion menus. The first time I ate them was in a restaurant in London. Since then I am always looing for bao buns on the menu.
Speechless, over and out!
Filled Bao Buns
- 500 g Minced Beef
- 6 tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
- 100 g Cream Cheese
- 1 pcs Purple Onion finely chopped
- Handful Fresh Coriander
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Olive Oil
- BeastFeast bao bun
- Follow the instructions for BeastFeast bao buns. When you come to the part to divide dough sausage, make sure you divide into pieces weighing 40g
- Roll each piece into a ball, then flatten into neat ovals rolling with a pin to flatten.
- Place the ovals on a baking sheet, cover with a light kitchen towel and rest for 20 minutes more
- While the dough is resting prepare your filling. Place the pan over medium heat, drizzle in some olive oil and add finely chopped onions. Lower down the heat and cook the onions till golden
- Add minced beef and turn up the heat on medium, mince it all the time. Add pepper and salt to taste. Cook the beef for 10-15 minutes, until crispy and golden
- At the end pour in teriyaki sauce (use thick one and adapt the amount as per your taste). Once done sprinkle over chopped cilantro
- To fill buns, on each oval in the centre place 1tsp cream cheese and 1 tbsp teriyaki beef, then pleat the edges of the dough round and pinch to seal the top of the bun
- Prepare a steamer (we use bamboo one). Place it on a pan with simmering water and place baking sheet on the bottom of bamboo steamer to avoid dough sticking
- Place filled buns into the steamer, depending how big is your steamer. Leave enough space as buns will get bigger. Steam for 15-20 minutes, or until they get bigger and smooth
- Once all buns are done, heat up a bit of olive oil in the pan and ‘fry’ each bun (with occasional turning) for few minutes, until golden from both sides
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!