Jump to Recipe
Not sure why but I am always so nervous when I prepare traditional classic recipe which is complex, special and on top, it is French. Stress level is high!
This time I am talking about French onion soup. Hearty French onion soup made from caramelized onions in rich stock with fresh thyme and topped with super crunchy baguette and melted cheese.
Don’t be scared with my words, it is actually super easy recipe, it is just my respect towards traditional and classic recipes.
This soup is great for big family gatherings and holidays. You can prepare it upfront and just finish it in the oven before serving.
If you make this super traditional onion soup, make sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! We are happy to hear your feedback and how you like this recipe! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag BeastFeast on Instagram!
French Onion Soup
- 35 g Butter unsalted
- 80 ml White Wine dry
- 1,5 l Beef Stock
- 1,5 kg Sweet Onions sliced
- 2 pcs Garlic Cloves minced
- Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- 2 pcs Bay Leaves
- 2 tsp White Wine Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 pcs Baguette
- Handful Gruyère Cheese for topping
- Place a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add butter. Once butter is melted add sliced onions, cook them until golden brown and caramelized (stir often) about 30-40 minutes. At the end add garlic for 1 minute until soften and golden
- Pour in wine and scrape browned bits from the bottom of the pot
- Add in beef stock, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Stir occasionally until soup is slightly reduced, about 15-20 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaves
- Add white wine vinegar and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180-200ºC
- Spread baguette slices on baking sheet and place them into oven until golden brown on both sides
- Pour in the soup into small ovenproof bowl and place them on the baking sheet
- Top with baguette slices and sprinkle with cheese
- Place in the oven and cook until golden brown and cheese melted
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!