Jump to Recipe
Fresh sea bream from the grill is without a doubt one of the favorite dishes during the summer.
As a Mediterranean girl eating fish is a must at least once a week. It is not super easy to get fresh fish in the middle of Germany but thanks to Cromaris and Metro we can buy it directly from Adriatic Sea. Heaven for me!
What I love about the fresh fish is simplicity. You can prepare any kind of side dish and it is always tasty and rich in flavours.
Important: Grill only fresh fish!
Processed on the grill only fresh fish! Fresh fish does not smell of fish, but of sea and water. He has naked eyes, bright red gills, and shiny, solid scales. The meat is elastic. If the fish is discolored and caked, leave it lying. Fish must be constantly cooled and should be processed quickly.
Prepare fish for grilling
The easiest way is, of course, if you buy the fish already prepared prepared by the fishmonger of your confidence. He can already fillet, gut and undress him. Especially the removal of the scales is in fact associated with much effort. Such prepared fish can be placed directly on the grill.
On request you can also marinate him in advance. We show you our best recipes for barbecue marinade. In general: oil, herbs and spices are good companions for grilling fish, but with lemon juice and white wine you should be careful, they make the meat crumbly, so that the fish on the grill can crumble rather.
This time we prepared it with potato and broccoli with garlic and parsley ‘dip.
Sea Bream from the grill – marinate it!
Fish and seafood marinate well – that makes them tender and juicy and provides an interesting flavor. Slice the fish meat on each side two to three times to allow the flavors to spread well throughout the fish. Fish are best served with liquid marinades, for which you combine oil or soy sauce with fresh herbs and spices. Ideal are:
Also lemon and lime shells are ideal for seasoning and inserting grilled fish.
Do you need to remove the skin to grill the fish?
The skin of the fish has a protective effect, which we like to use when grilling. That’s why you always like to grill the fish with your skin. Important: Remove the scales before, otherwise you will not enjoy the food. You should not remove the middle burr. The fish meat gets more hold and stays nicely juicy. And let’s be honest: The crispy grilled fish skin tastes delicious! Incidentally, shrimp are best grilled with shell, so they do not dry out.
If you like grilled fish, you may also like:
Grilled Sea Bream
- 2 pcs Sea Bream
- 250 g Potatoes sliced
- 250 g Broccoli cut in florets
- Olive Oil extra virgin
- Squeeze of Lemon
- Sprigs of fresh Thyme
- 3-4 pcs Garlic Cloves
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pinch of Garlic Powder
- If possible, when you are buying the fish ask if they can clean it, so you avoid all that mess at home
- Preheat the oven on 180 °C. Peal the potatoes and cut them in bigger cubes. If you are using fresh broccoli, wash it and cut all the leaves from it. Cut the broccoli on size like potato cubes (bigger ones)
- Spread both broccoli and potatoes on baking sheet on a tray, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Drizzle over olive oil and place it in the oven for 20 minutes (or until potatoes get golden colour and got soften)
- While side dish is baking you can prepare the fish. When fish is not bought on the market that you know it came directly from the sea couple of hours ago, I always wash it. Drain it with kitchen paper towels. (Trick 1: after washing you need to drain the fish until completely dry then it will not stick on the pan or grill)
- Cut 2 garlic cloves in half, cut lemon on half and then on thin slices
- Place as follows inside of the fish (in a cut along fish tummy): salt and pepper, 2 half of garlic clove, 2-3 lemon slices and thyme. Repeat the same with the 2nd fish as well
- Gently place both fishes on the grill. (Trick 2: Fish is ready to turn, once the eye got completely white)
- Serve side dish and fish while warm together with fresh green salad
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!