These ham and cheese puffs are absolutely amazing. Warm and fluffy butter puff pastry with classic cheese and ham filling. What is the best part of this recipe? We all know the answer – CHEEEEEEESE.
Actually, we are rather the really hearty breakfast fans. But during the Christmas season, I see it differently, because I can eat very early, the first cookies. But the best part is that these ham & cheese puffs fulfill both sides. Sweet and salty.
One morning, I just told Basti that all I want is warm buttery ham & cheese croissant. As of course he is the best boyfriend ever! He went to the kitchen and made it happen. When it comes to baking, I usually leave the creativity up to him.
We both did not really know what the final outcome of these ham and cheese puffs was and if that was the proper name for it. But they are incredibly tasty. And let’s be honest, they look great.
If you have a lot of time, you can of course make your own croissant dough. We usually use a short cut puff pastry. The secret is the butter that comes between the layers. So you have your own super fast croissant dough.
The filling is totally simple and easy. Mix the egg with cheese and spices. Put the ham into the puff pastry molds and pour the mass into it. Put it all in the oven and you have great ham cheese puffs.
You should definitely try the recipe at your next family breakfast. The great thing is that you can prepare it the evening before. In the morning you just push them into the oven.
If you make these incredible ham and cheese puff pastry creations for your next breakfast, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! We are happy to hear, how you like this recipe! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag BeastFeast on Instagram!
Ham and Cheese Puffs
- 2 pcs Frozen Puff Pastry
- 3 tbsp Butter cold, thinly sliced
- 40 g Heavy Cream or Milk
- 2 pcs Eggs beaten
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 80 g Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 80 g Gouda Cheese shredded
- 9 pcs Prosciutto Ham
- Brown Sugar for coating
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or other ovenproofed ramekins
- Unfold each sheet of pastry. Place the butter slices in an even layer on one sheet of pastry. Place the second sheet of pastry over the butter. Both sheets of pastry should be stacked, one on top of the other. Now roll the pastry out into roughly a 30x35cm rectangle. Cut into 9 squares
- Fit each square inside the prepared tin or ramekin. Transfer the pan to the freezer to chill
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream, 1 egg, mustard, thyme, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Stir in the cheeses
- Remove the muffin pan from the freezer and line a piece of prosciutto on the inside edge. Evenly divide the cheese mixture between the pastries
- Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet. Brush the top edges of the pastries with the remaining beaten egg, and sprinkle with brown sugar. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is deeply golden and the cheese has melted
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!