Italian beef meatballs with grandmas homemade tomato sauce and rosemary our the winner of the day! Should I say anything else? I don’t think so! With pasta, rice, polenta… whatever your heart wants.
Main star of this recipe is definitely the tomato sauce, and I am very sorry but this time I am not able to share with the secret recipe as I do not know it as well. These meatballs can be made in advance, I quite often make a double batch and freeze half for a quick weeknight meal.
There is nothing better than slow cooked meatballs in sweet creamy tomato sauce with a smell of rosemary. YUM! No matter how you decide to eat your Italian beef meatballs with pasta or without, just be sure to include a couple of slices of Italian Crusty bread to soak up all that sauce.
Important Ingredients for perfect Italian beef meatballs
- Meat: High quality meat (or veal) is the most important ingredient. Then they get really juicy. Of course you can also add pork or Italian sausage, just be careful with spices as the sausage has already spices by itself.
- Spices: Important spices are nutmeg and oregano. We also love to use fresh chopped parsley. In my opinion fresh herbs make them perfect.
- Onion & Garlic: My recommendation are shallots, as they usually are milder. Bu of course you can use normal onions as well. My grandma always cooks her tomato sauce with garlic cloves. If you use canned tomato sauce, make sure to add some garlic cloves while cooking.
- Bread: The secret to getting extra tender meatballs is bread; yes, bread! You can use bread crust or breadcrumbs as well. Both works.
If you love meatball recipes you should try these:
Easy Homemade Meatballs
- 500 g Minced beef
- 300 ml Tomato Sauce
- 2 pcs Shallots finely chopped
- Handful fresh parsley
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sprigs of fresh Rosemary
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar optional
- 3 pcs Sliced White bread
- 30 Parmesan Cheese
- Grounded Oregano
- Meg Nut
- Preheat the oven on 180 °C. In a bowl mix together minced beef, bread or breadcrumbs, chopped shallots and parsley. Add oregano, meg nut, salt and pepper to taste. Mix it all together and shape the meatballs (up to you how you like them big)
- Prepare the baking tray and baking sheet and spread meatballs on it. Once oven is warm enough place the tray in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden
- While meatballs are baking, place the pot on the medium heat and heat up the tomato sauce (depends which one you buy so you may need some sugar and slat for the taste)
- Once meatballs are ready, place them in tomato sauce, add rosemary and cover with a lit. Cook for 10 minutes
- Serve it with pasta or whatever fits your cravings
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!