Some buy shoes, Some buy dishes. Some buy Vogue, Some buy Cookbooks.
That feeling when your fresh new cookbook arrives and you simply don’t know what to prepare first? I think we spent hours in the kitchen that day.
I love mezze! Mostly we have hummus, but this lemon burnt eggplant mezze dip is a great alternative. The preparation takes a little longer than Hummus, but that’s definitely worth it. And most of the preparation time is just the eggplant baking time, during which you do not have to do anything.
Lemon burnt eggplant is so much more than just a side dish, spread or a dip. Burnt taste of eggplant mixed with lemon creates a crazy taste explosion. If you want to make it a traditional Baba Ghanoush, just add some tahini paste in it.
What is this Baba Ghanoush?
Baba Ghanoush is a simple and healthy dip from the Middle East. It consists of grilled and crushed aubergine, tahini and olive oil. Mostly garlic, lemon juice and various spices such as coriander, parsley or mint are used.
Traditionally, the eggplant is grilled over an open flame and thus gets a smoky taste. You can, however, simply prepare them in the oven. You can eat it in so many ways, just with warm pita bread or with grilled veggies, meat or fish.
Jerusalem – brilliant cookbook, recipes that will take you to an amazing food journey.
Other amazing mezze dips you should try:
Lemon Burnt Eggplant
- 4 pcs Eggplants
- 2 pcs Garlic Cloves
- 1 pcs Lemon Zest and 2 tbsp of Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Handful Fresh Herbs (Parsley, Dill, Mint)
- Pomegranate Seeds to garnish
- Place eggplants on the grill (medium-low heat), turn them around until skin gets burnt and meat inside is soft (if you do not have a grill, stab the fork couple of times in the eggplants and place them on the baking sheet and into the oven on 200ºC for 45-50 minutes – until the skin breaks and they got soft)
- Let the eggplants cool down
- Cut each eggplant in half and scoop out the meat, removing the skin with your hands. Once you removed all the skin from the eggplant meat it is very important to drain the meat. Either in kitchen towel or with hands but try to get rid of as much liquids as possible
- Place drained eggplant into the food processor. Add crushed garlic, lemon zest and juice, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Mix it all together very slowly in food processor as you do not want to get a liquid mass
- Place a mixture into the serving bowl and leave it at least half an hour to marinate
- Once serving, mix in fresh herbs and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!