Comfort food from Middle East. You are asking yourself how something like ‘just’ rice get in the category of comfort food? Secret is in spices. Magical spices which are bringing this dish far, far away from ‘just’ the rice. This is what we call Mejadra – a wonderful rice with lentils dish!
Sweet-bitter combination of spices and fried onion is as comforting as can be. Light meal along with fresh green salad for hot Summer night or warm comfort side dish for long cold winter days – up to you! Mejadra is all you need and crave for.
This is our adapted recipe based on one of our favourite chefs Ottolenghi.
If you make this famous rice with lentils dish, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! We are happy to hear, how you like this recipe! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag BeastFeast on Instagram!
- 250 g Brown Lentils
- 4 pcs Onions sliced
- 3 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- Oil Sunflower Oil
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1½ tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 200 g Rice
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 1½ tsp All Spices
- 1½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Place the lentils in a small pan and cover them with water. Bring to boil and cook them for ca. 12 minutes. They should be soft but still have a little bite. Then drain them and set aside
- In a bowl, mix the onions with the flour and salt. Mix well till evenly covered
- Heat up the oil in a medium heavy-based saucepan over high heat. (The oil has to be very hot!) To test, toss in a small piece. It should sizzle powerfully
- Reduce to medium high heat and carefully add half of the onions. Fry them for about 5-7 minutes until they get a nice brown golden colour and get crispy. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking together
- Use a spoon to transfer the onions on a sheet covered with kitchen paper. Repeat this with the remaining onions. Set aside to cool down. They become more crispy as they get colder
- Wipe the pan in which you fried the onions and roast the cumin and coriander seeds over medium heat for 2 minutes
- Add the rice, olive oil, turmeric, all spices, cinnamon, sugar, a pinch of salt and plenty of black pepper. Stir everything till the rice is evenly coated with the oil and the spices. Add the lentils and 350ml water
- Bring to boil and cover the pan with a lid. Let it simmer for around 15 minutes
- Remove it from the heat, lift off the lid and quickly cover the pan with a kitchen towel. Put back on the lid and set aside for 10 minutes
- Add half of the friend onions in to the rice and stir gently
- To serve, pile the rice and serve it with the fried onions
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!