Even maybe the cheapest sea shells, but definitely one of the most tasty ones. Simple mussels in tomato sauce are the perfect way of eating them. This is how we usually like to do it on the coast in Croatia. One time we randomly stopped in a small ‘restaurant’ or more kiosk, next to the road and directly next to the sea.
These days, fresh mussels are readily available, but make sure to check for their freshness. It is really important important. Fresh mussels are supposed to be alive; their shells are supposed to be closed, or if they are slightly open they should close if you tap them lightly.
You could choose mussels in white or red sauce. They would pull them out directly from the sea and cook them in front of you. All you need is clean hands and bunch of bread to dip in that heavenly thick sauce. That is one dirty meal. But the best thing of eating it next to the sea is that you get to wash your hands directly in the sea. 🙂 I am simply a girl from the coast.
When you buy mussels in a place far from the sea you simply loose that taste of sea. They loose it while cooking but anyhow…here is our best version of it for you guys!
These mussels in tomato sauce are a perfect meal with a glass of wine for a regular dinner or date night in.
- 1 kg Mussels
- 100 ml White Wine
- 250 ml Tomato Sauce
- Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 pcs Purple Onion chopped
- 1 pcs Garlic Clove
- 1 Crusty seeded Whole Grain Bread or Ciabatta Bread
- Handful fresh parsley
- Clean and wash the mussels. Make sure you remove all the dirt from mussel (those which are already opened or cracked are not good for cooking)
- Place a big pot on a medium heat and drizzle in some oil, after few seconds when oil is warm enough toss in onion and garlic. Lower down the heat and let is cook until it gets glass and golden
- Place mussels in the pot and level up the heat on medium
- Add tomato sauce and white wine then cover with the top and shake the pot that the sauce covers all the mussels
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and cover again
- It is done once all the mussels are open
- At the end sprinkle again with fresh parsley. Serve it with fresh bread
- Pull up your sleeves and enjoy your BeastFeast!