Jump to Recipe
In our house oranges are usually used only for Aperol spritz. 🙂 Well ok this is a lie, sometimes as well for Mimosa. This time we gone wild and we did a cake. But not just an ordinary cake, a juicy, moist and soft orange almond cake. I simply love uncomplicated cakes with a twist. Exciting combinations, unusual spices or unusual preparation methods is what makes baking such an interesting part in creating new recipes.
Like I already said. Tis is not just a cake. Juicy, sweet, moist, zesty and gluten free. Quick and easy to prepare and it goes perfectly with, you know, Aperol spritz or Mimosa! 🙂
For this orange almond cake recipe, whole oranges are boiled for two hours and then puréed skin, pips and all. Not only is this cake incredibly moreish and moist, it is also gluten and dairy-free making it the perfect all-rounder.
Specialties of this cake
It is baked without flour, so it is gluten-free and also lactose-free, which some people with a sensitized digestive tract will appreciate. The oranges are first covered with water and gently simmered for 2 hours. Then halve the now soft fruits and remove the seeds. The oranges are then pureed. Crazy, right?
You should also try our Healthy Zucchini Chocolate Chunk Bread, a juicy zucchini bread with melting dark chocolate chunks.
Orange Almond Cake
- 2 pcs Orange
- 250 g Caster Sugar plus extra for dusting
- 6 pcs Eggs
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- Icing Sugar
- Place a large pot filled with water to boil on a medium heat. Wash 2 oranges and place them into the boiling water. Cook them for 1,5 hours
- When done, take oranges out, drain and let them cool down.
- When oranges reach the room temperature cut them (together with skin) and place in food processor to make an orange puree
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease or place a baking paper in a 22 cm spring form cake tin
- Beat the eggs and caster sugar until all is nicely combined
- Mix in an orange puree followed by the almond flour and baking powder
- Pour the mix into the prepared cake tin
- Bake for 1-1¼ hours, until the top is golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Allow to cool in the tin. Dust with icing sugar and Enjoy your BeastFeast!