Basti and I live far from our families, mine is even in another country. – Rainy gloomy day. Those are the days when you miss table full of comfort food and family.
Those times when you laugh together and cry together. These gatherings remind me eating that big roasted bird (duck, turkey, chicken…) with our family. Therefore we decided to prepare our own little family feast and roast big juicy chicken.
Try it out with your loved ones and let us know how you like it!
Orange Thyme Roasted Chicken
- 1 Whole Chicken ca. 1.5kg, rinsed and patted dry.
- 3 pcs Oranges cut into quarters
- 1 pcs Purple Onion roughly chopped
- 4-6 pcs Sprigs of fresh Thyme
- 4 pcs Garlic Cloves
- 150 ml Orange Juice fresh squeezed
- 30 ml Honey
- 2 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180 °C
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, honey, cumin, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Set aside
- Put half the onion, 2 sprigs thyme, some orange cubes and garlic cloves inside the cavity of the chicken. Tie the feet together with kitchen twine
- Place remaining orange pieces, onions, and thyme sprigs in the skillet
- Place chicken in skillet on top of orange and onion pieces
- Rub chicken with 2 tbsp olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper
- Pour the orange juice mixture over the chicken
- Bake for 10 minutes, and then pour the liquid over the chicken by collecting excess juices in a baster and squirting it on the breasts and thighs. Do this every 10 minutes until it's been 60 minutes
- Check temperature. If the temperature has reached 160 degrees when a thermometer is inserted in the thickest part of the thigh, take it out, but if it's not, baste it one more time, and continue to cook with the topper closed over it and check every 10 minutes until it reaches 160 degrees and juices run clear in the thigh
- Once you take it out of the oven, let it rest, covered for 10 minutes before cutting
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!