A popular Korean street snack transformed to a healthy super tasty dish. This recipe of oven-baked Korean BBQ chicken poppers are breaded in crispy cornflakes and coated in a addicted Korean style BBQ Sauce. I promise you, all will love it.
Crunchy, baked to perfection chicken bites, breaded in crispy cornflakes and coated in an addicting Korean style BBQ Sauce.
What is chicken popcorn?
I actually always asked myself, why this is called popcorn. What exactly is the difference between chicken fillets/stripes and these chicken popcorns? Simple: Ones are bite-size and the others are slightly bigger. The first popcorn chicken I actually ate in London, when I’ve been there with my parents for the first time. It was that long time ago, that our dad used to tell us, these chicken popcorns are produced on a boneless chicken farm, where all chickens look like small popcorns….
Sometimes I really ask myself how we did not end up completely stupid.
These oven-baked Korean BBQ Popcorn Chicken are coated in a Korean inspired BBQ Sauce, which is made out of Hoisin, honey, rice vinegar and sesame oil. I really like the taste and sweetness of the hoisin sauce. For sure it is not the most traditional Korean BBQ Sauce you will make, but it is super tasty and this is our Beastfeast Version of it. And pretty damn tasty!
It is absolutely one of our favorites. The key is to really smash the cornflakes. Only then they will stick on the chicken and give you the perfect texture. You want to have fine crumbles for the chicken.
If you make this BBQ chicken poppers recipe, make sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! We are happy to hear your feedback and how you like this recipe! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag BeastFeast on Instagram!
Healthy Oven-baked Korean BBQ Popcorn Chicken
- 500 g Boneless Chicken Breast
- 250 ml Buttermilk
- 250 g Cornflakes crushed
- 4 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp Black Pepper
- Olive Oil for brushing
Korean BBQ Sauce
- 150 ml Hoisin Sauce
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 cm Fresh Ginger grated
- 2 pcs Garlic Cloves
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 3 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- Spring Onion to garnish
- Cut the chicken into 4 cm cubes and put them in a zip top bag
- Pour in the buttermilk and toss well to evenly coat the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Mix the crushed cornflakes, flour, and a pinch of pepper to a medium sized bowl. Mix everything
- Dredge every piece of chicken through the crumbs mix and press gently to adhere the crumbs onto the chicken.
- Place them on the prepared baking sheet and repeat until all the chicken is used. (Tipp: Make sure, no piece is overlapping with each other)
- Lightly brush all chicken pieces with olive oil and transfer them into the oven and bake them for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through
- In the meantime, combine the hoisin sauce, honey, rice vinegar, grated ginger, sesame oil and 3 tbsp water
- Bring to boil over high heat
- Turn down the heat to medium and simmer it for 5-10 minutes, until the sauce thickened slightly and starts to look more like a glaze
- Brush every single piece of chicken generously with the BBQ Sauce. Sprinkle with Sesame Seeds and spring onions
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!