Galette is my favourite dessert – EVER! And Basti knows it well! 🙂 Every time we buy fresh fruits my first idea is always – we need to make a Galette. When I say we, it means Basti as he is our pastry chef. And of course, buying fresh rhubarb ended up in this amazing rhubarb galette with almond creme.
It is so perfect because it can be prepared in some many ways and with so many different toppings/fillings. Not to mention it can be sweet or savoury. And yes, you can it it for breakfast, lunch and dinner or any time between.
This time we went for rhubarb galette and actually this is the very first time we cooked/baked with rhubarb. The combination of sweet and creamy almonds and fresh orange zest make this galette simply perfect. Oh I just want to eat this rhubarb galette with almond creme all the time.
Rhubarb freshness test
Are you often unsure whether the rhubarb is fresh or not? There is a simple freshness test! Fresh rhubarb shines on the surface. If you touch it, it is firm and the interfaces are a little damp. To store the rhubarb, you can wrap it in a damp kitchen towel. It then stays in the fridge for a few days.
If you make this rhubarb galette with frangipane, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! We are happy to hear, how you like this recipe! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag BeastFeast on Instagram!
Rhubarb Galette with Almond Creme
- 260 g Spelled Flour Type 630
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- ⅓ tsp Salt
- 130 g Butter cold
- 4-6 tbsp Ice Water
Almond Cream / Frangipane
- 70 g Butter
- 120 g Grounded Almonds
- 20 g Brown Sugar
- 400 g Fresh Rhubarb
- 1 tsp Starch
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Orange Zest
- 1 pcs Egg
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 50 g Almond Flakes
- Mix flour, sugar and salt for the dough. Cut the butter into small cubes and work your fingers into the flour mixture until the pieces of butter are the size of a pea
- Add water and quickly knead everything into a dough in which small pieces of butter can still be seen. If the dough appears too dry, gradually add a little water
- Form the dough into a ball, press it flat into the palm of your hand, wrap in cling film and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (better 1 hour)
Prepare the Galette
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- For the almond cream, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat, mix with almonds and sugar. Wash the rhubarb, peel if necessary and cut into pieces 5-6 cm wide. Halve thick sticks. Mix in a bowl of starch, sugar and orange zest
- Take the dough out of the fridge and let it rest at room temperature until it is easy to roll out. Roll out into a 35 cm circle on a lightly floured work surface
- Carefully roll up the dough on a lightly floured rolling pin and roll it carefully over the baking sheet. Brush the dough with the almond cream and top it with the rhubarb in a pattern
- Leave a margin of about 3 to 4 cm wide all around. Fold the edge over the filling and press gently. Whisk the egg and spread it on the edge using a baking brush
- For a nice crust, sprinkle the edge with sugar and spread almond leaves on top
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until the rhubarb is cooked and the dough is golden brown and crispy
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!