Tarte au citron, the traditional French lemon tart, ensures summer feeling even on gloomy days. Just right for the first gray autumn days!
The combination of sweet crunchy pastry crust and deliciously sweet, zesty lemon cream is perfect.
From what is a lemon tarte made of?
For a French lemon tarte it needs two components. First, the crust. It is the frame for the star, provides the necessary hold of the filling and should alone be a pleasure. Therefore, a completely finished pâte sucrée is used here. This has a fine taste, is slightly sweet and elegantly flavored with some sweet almond flour and vanilla. Then you should definitely use an unbaked Crémeux au citron (lemon curd) in a fine French lemon tarte. The Crémeux au citron as a filling for this lemon tart, is crispy after cooling, but super silky in consistency and could also be spooned.
If you buy the crust then it is really 10 minutes recipe that looks good and tastes even better. Easy to decorate if you want to make an impression. Just dust over caster sugar, add few lemon/lime slices and fresh mint leaves. Et voilà your lemon tart is ready! This is, how you make you friends happy! 🙂
What should be considered for the tarte au citron?
The secret lies, as so often in the patisserie, in the right temperature and the right proportion of ingredients. The temperatures in this recipe are very important to achieve exactly this cut resistance and thereby the silky creaminess. Of course, if you’re lucky, you can try it, but I do not recommend it. Buy a digital sugar thermometer! You will have a lot of fun with it!
I hope I did not deter you, otherwise you would miss a wonderful tarte au citron. Not to mention the delicious Lemon Curd, which you could now prepare with this recipe. It is always good for your next breakfast.
If you make this lemon tarte, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! We are happy to hear, how you like this recipe! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag BeastFeast on Instagram!
Tarte au Citron
- 200 g All-Purpose Flour
- 60 g Sugar
- 1 pcs Egg
- 100 g Butter soft or cold in little flakes
- Pinch of Salt
Filling for the Tarte
- 8 pcs Eggs
- 300 g Sugar
- 250 ml Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp Lemon Rind grated
- 250 g Cream
- For the shortcrust pastry, mix flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add the egg and soft butter or cold butter in little flakes; knead into a smooth dough. Form a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface 3 mm thick, put into a tart dish. Press the edge and cut off the excess dough. Pierce the dough several times with a fork
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place a baking paper on the raw dough and let it “blind bake” for 15 minutes. Remove it from the oven, remove legumes and baking paper again
- Meanwhile, prepare the lemon cream. Wash lemons hot, dry and rub off. Halve and squeeze juice. Measure out 250 ml of lemon juice. Mix lemon juice, grated lemon rind, sugar, eggs and the cream in a big bowl
- Spread lemon cream on the prebaked dough. Bake tart for about 35-40min. Attention, toward the end the tart can become dark; rather cover with foil. Tarte should be chilled before cutting
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!