Jump to Recipe
If you think these smashed potatoes with vinegar are like a potato salad with some greens you are completely off the track. 🙂 You know what? Since Jamie Oliver got popular (not sure when was but loooooooooong time ago), I completely fell in love with his way of cooking. Since them I am always ignoring when someone said, this looks messy or burned or to much. I respect restaurants where they serve 3 small pieces on a big plate, as well I eat there and it is always crazy good. From there we get inspired so we create our version, soul food version.
Why am I saying that, cause these peaked potatoes are so messy, burned cheese is in the picture as well, sauce for dipping is just dropped all over. WHY? Cause that is our food, that makes us happy and more important this is how you share food. Eating with fingers and just grabbing most delicious pieces from that pile.
Vinegar smashed potatoes with cheese are so good!!
These potatoes I even do not want to define as cheat food cause they are not. Potatoes are good carbs and heathy carbs. Yes with cheese, but hey, a bit of baked cheese never killed anyone!
If someone ask me which recipe is describing a core dish of BeastFeast. I think this would be definitely one of them and has everything you need. It’s messy, healthy, great to share with friends and unbelievably tasty!
- 500 g Yukon gold potatoes
- 170 ml Apple Cides Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Salt
- Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 pcs Garlic Clove minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Handful of Parmesan Cheese grated
- Handful fresh parsley
- 5 tbsp Greek Yoghurt/Skyr
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C
- Place the potatoes, vinegar in a large pot then sprinkle over 1 tbsp of salt. Add water to cover potatoes for two fingers. Turn up the heat above medium and bring it to boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are soft (try with the fork). Drain the potatoes and place them on baking sheet (let them cool down for few minutes)
- Now we need to smash potatoes but bot using the masher as we literally just want to press them down. You can use a mug and press piece by piece or use another tray which you will place over potatoes and equally press down
- Sprinkle over salt and pepper to taste, drizzle olive oil, add garlic powder. Mix all together gently with your hands
- Place baking tray with potatoes in preheated oven and roast until golden, 20-30 minutes
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle over cheese and return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes, until the potatoes are crispy and golden brown
- For dip mix together Skyr, salt and pepper to taste
- Once done sprinkle over fresh herbs and spoon the Skyr Dip randomly between
- Enjoy your BeastFeast!